There has been a huge upswing in the culinary world for the past few years of the one pan meals. These can be one skillet on the stove top, a stock pot, a slow cooker or even a sheet pan in the oven. I have seen hundreds of these on social media and even bought several cookbooks from my favorite chefs based on One Pan Meals. Now I have seen some recipes that call themselves one pan meals but you need to cook the protein in one pan and then mix in the vegetables into another pan and finish them all together in a third pan, kinda defeats the purpose of making a one pan meal.
So what is the purpose of a one pan meal? It’s two fold. First is easy clean up. The less you use to cook the less there is to clean. Secondly and what I feel most people forget about but is utterly more important is flavor. When you cook the protein, veggies and starches all together in the same pan the rendered fat from the protein helps add flavor to everything else.
This bright lemony chicken sheet pan dinner is reminiscent of a Sunday roast chicken dinner.
Preheat your oven to 400. Coat a large rimmed sheet pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl combine 1/2 cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 teaspoons lemon zest, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper. Mix well and reserve 2 tablespoons of the mixture. Add 4 bone in skin on chicken breasts to the bowl and toss until completely coated in the mixture. Place the Chicken skin side up on the sheet pan. In the same large bowl add 1 and 1/2 lb of creamer potatoes that are cut in half toss to get them coated as much as possible then arrange the potatoes around the chicken on the baking sheet, lastly add the 4 halves of lemons from which you got the zest and lemon juice Roast the chicken, lemons and potatoes in the 400 degree oven for 40 minutes.
While the chicken, lemons and potatoes are roasting in the same bowl as before add 12 ounces of fresh green beans and a rough chopped red onion with the reserved 2 tablespoons of oil mixture.
After the chicken and potatoes have been in the oven for 40 minutes remove the pan from the oven turn the potatoes over add the green bean mixture to the pan and roast for another 20-25 minutes. If you use a trivet you can actually bring the sheet pan right to the table and serve from the pan.
- 4 bone in skin on chicken breasts
- 3 lemons (from which you will need 3 tablespoons lemon juice and 2 teaspoons lemon zest)
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb creamer potatoes cut in half
- 12 ounces fresh green beans trimmed and washed
- red onion rough chopped
- preheat oven to 400
- coat rimmed sheet pan with cooking spray
- in large bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, oregano, basil, salt and pepper reserve 2 tablespoons oil mixture
- Add chicken to the bowl and mix to coat evenly
- place chicken on the sheet pan skin side up
- add halved creamer potatoes to the bowl toss until coated
- arrange the potatoes around the chicken
- roast in the oven for 40 minutes
- toss green beans chopped onions and reserved oil mixture in the bowl
- remove the pan from the oven after 40 minutes turn the potatoes over add the beans and onions
- return the pan to the oven for 20-25 more minutes
- place a large trivet on the table and carry the sheet pan to the table to serve