I don’t know what the weather is like where you live but here in the Northeast it appears winter is coming early. In one day we went from temps in the 70’s to that night dropping into the 50’s and it seems we are staying there. Forecasters are even saying we will have snow next week. To battle the cold weather I made a hearty southern style creamy chicken noodle soup.
This is a simple recipe that starts off with 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs boiled chicken broth in a large pot, I like to use my enameled cast iron dutch oven.
Bring to a boil 64 ounces of chicken broth over high heat with the lid on the pot. Once the broth comes to a boil reduce to Medium High heat, remove the lid and add the chicken thighs. Boil the chicken thighs in the broth for 30 minutes.
While the chicken is boiling this is the perfect time to get your Mirepoix ready. Mirepoix is the french term for onions, celery and carrots, also called the “holy trinity” in Cajun and Creole cooking. The ratio you want for this is 2 parts diced onion 1 part diced carrots and 1 part diced celery. Now I will give you a supermarket shortcut if you don’t feel like dicing the onion carrots and celery, most grocery stores in the produce section have mirepoix premade near the salads that you can purchase.
Once the chicken has boild for 30 minutes remove the chicken from the broth and set on a plate to cool. Add 10 ounces of egg noodles to the broth and cook until tender.
While the chicken is cooling it is time to sweat the mirepoix. In a medium pan melt some butter over medium low heat and add your mirepoix along with the minced garlic and season with salt and pepper. Now the mirepoix and garlic is not sauteeing or caramelizing the veggies you are really just sweating out the juices to make the veggies sweeter.
Add the mirepoix and garlic to the broth and noodles, shred the chicken and return to the pot. Add a can of cream of chicken, parsley add salt and pepper to taste. and stir to combine. Allow time to simmer and all of the flavors to combine.
At this point all you are waiting for is the flavors to marry. All that’s left is to dish the soup out in bowls and enjoy. I really like to have a side of saltines with this soup the salty crackers reall pair well with the rich chicken flavor.
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 64 oz chicken broth
- 10 oz egg noodles
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring broth to a boil over high heat with the lid on the pot.
- Reduce to Medium High heat, remove the lid and add the chicken thighs boil the chicken thighs in the broth for 30 minutes
- Remove chicken to a plate to cool
- Add noodles to broth boil until tender
- Melt butter over medium low heat
- Sweat onions, carrots, celery and garlic until tender
- Shred the chicken
- Add mirepoix, garlic, shredded chicken, parsley, and cream of chcicken to the broth and noodles
- Stir until all combined
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Simmer to marry all the flavors
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy