As you may know I don’t do a lot of baking, most of my desserts are from box mixes. Well here is a simple from scratch brownie recipe that gives you nice fudgey and gooey brownies. Now cake brownies are good but this recipe will not give you those.
Start off by melting 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick) over medium low heat. As your melting the butter preheat the oven to 350. After butter has melted using a hand mixer and a medium size bowl add melted butter to oil, granulated sugar and light brown sugar and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute.
Add vanilla and eggs to mixture and whisk for another minute. Now comes the step that I had always heard bakers talk about but never understood , sifting the dry ingredients. Sifted flour, which is much lighter than unsifted flour,is easier to mix into other ingredients when forming a cake batter or making dough. When flour is sifted with other dry ingredients, such as cocoa powder, this helps to combine them evenly before they are mixed with other ingredients. Now this is truly important because you are going to fold the dry into the wet until it is completely combined.
For this step you do not want to use a mixer just a spatula or wooden spoon. A mixer will add too much air into the batter and give you a cakey brownie. Pour the batter into an 8×8 baker now I used a silicone baker if you are using a class or metal baker I recommend greasing the pan and lining the bottom with parchment paper. Make sure the top is spread evenly.
Place on rack in the oven, I find the second from the top rung is best, at 350 for 25 minutes just long enough for the center to not be jiggly.
After 25 minutes remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 16 -20 minutes. Once cool remove and cut.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (olive oil or coconut oil are fine)
- 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- melt 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick) over medium low heat.
- preheat the oven to 350.
- using a hand mixer and a medium size bowl add melted butter to oil, granulated sugar and light brown sugar and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute
- add eggs oil and vanilla whisk for another minute
- sift together flour cocoa powder and salt
- fold sifted dry ingredients into the wet until combined making sure not to over mix
- add batter to greased 8×8 baking pan lined with parchment paper
- place on rack in the oven (2nd rung down from the top)
- bake for 25 minutes
- remove from oven and allow to cool in the baking pan for 16-20 minutes
- remove from pan cut and serve